I think that there is something to be said for Seahorses they really have got it right! They mate for life and the males have the babies. Sounds good to me! So if you hadn’t of guessed it already my blog this month is a little bit valentines.
I asked on my Facebook page what everyone thought about valentines and the resounding answer was that we should love each other through the year and not just on one day. I agree and for the most part the other half and myself generally forget to celebrate on the day. We don’t make a massive fuss over it cause we have every other day of the year to show one another we love each other. A very important thing when you have been together for 13 years!
I was going to do a journal but being as I have a few of these guys sitting in my craft stash I couldn’t resist. And it was a perfect fit for my theme. This seahorse mdf shape is still available on the Powertex UK website. So if you wanted to make a little valentines creation for your loved one you can!
You get a small square back plate to hold the pieces together as they arrive in two sections. I started by coating the back of the seahorse making sure it was dry before covering the front.
I love the mdf shapes I tend to throw every piece of detail and texture I can at a piece I work on. I also like to cut the shapes, I have a pair of jewelry pliers which cut through. If it’s a thicker piece of mdf I tend to use my little craft saw. I lined the mdf heart flower up on the seahorses belly and drew lines as a guide for cutting.
TOP TIP: Have an idea of where to place your pieces before getting messy. Take a photo to aid your memory, or lay the pieces next to your design as a rough guide.
The left over hearts I cut from the mdf shape were placed on the tail and fin of the seahorse.
I used some of the mdf letters on the mane, a daisy I had premade from the daisy mould, some old buttons from my nans button tin. Everyone has got a button tin right? and some of the drop outs which are my absolute favourites.
I decided I wanted some extra texture underneath all the embellishments so cut wallpaper and dishcloth to size to fit the shape of the seahorse. For the head and neck I used a palette knife and liberally coated in easy structure, make sure this is thoroughly dry before covering in powertex. It will hold embellishments in place should you wish to stick them on before it dries.
Then I place all the embellishments on and coated everything in bronze powertex.
So I was going to reach for my go to turquoise. But as I have already created a seahorse in this colour, I felt it would be fun to do burgundy and lilac powercolour with a hint of the new pearl pigments mixed into the varnish.
I loved the colour of the button on the eye, so left it uncoated and stuck it, and the flatback gems and pearls I had in my stash with some transparent powertex.
Hope you have been inspired this little project. Toodles Anna xXx