Here Comes The Bride

 

 

As Prince Harry and Meghan prepare to walk down the aisle, here at Powertex we’re feeling pretty loved up as well.

 

This month I decided to use up a battered old canvas I had lying around to create a 3d picture of a fairy tale bride.

To do this, I used the back of the canvas.  Almost like a ready made box frame to work within.

I started off by mixing Ivory Powertex hardener with a very very small amount of Lead Powertex, hardener as I wanted to give a slight illusion of depth to my picture.  Once I had the shade I wanted I painted the entire canvas, and frame with this colour.

Once this was dry, I used wire covered with tin foil and masking tape to create an archway for my fairy tale bride to be walking through.  I adhered this into place and mixed some Powertex Stone Art with the remainder of my ivory and grey mixture to create some a clay to cover the arch with.  Once it was covered, I used a pallet knife to make some rough marks to indicate brick work.

 

To get the effect of  stone wall I then mixed up some Ivory hardener and Powertex Easy 3d Flex into a very wet clay and pretty much slapped it on the area between the archway and the frame.  I wanted this very rough and ready as my fairy tale bride is getting married in an old fairy tale castle.

As it was a very hot day, I then put this outside in the heat to allow the cracks I wanted to develop.  If you are not lucky enough to have a hot day then a good blast with  a hair dryer will work just as well. If you can it is best to leave Easy 3d Flex overnight to give the cracks a really good chance to develop.

Next I started to work on my bride.  I chose the Esther head available from Powertex UK  European selection as as I wanted my bride to be very delicate and pretty.

I used some tin foil and masking tape to make the shape of her bodice, making sure that I indicated where her arms would be also.  I then covered the top of her bodice with some gorgeous lace soaked in ivory powertex.

I wanted her dress to be flowing out of the picture, so used tin foil and masking tape to help create this effect, then put layers upon layers of lace.   I stuffed used rubber gloves up inside of the layers to help them stand out from each other.  I tend to keep most of my used rubber gloves for this purpose.  They work perfectly, and are easy to remove once you have got the effect you are after.

I was really pleased with the cracks in my Easy 3d Flex, however, when I looked closely I could see that some of the clay had moved away from my arch.  To disguise this I used some fabric flowers that I had picked up from a charity shop some time ago, and trailed them up the cracks.  I actually think this enhances the design.  I tend to find this with ‘mistakes’.  With a little imagination you can usually use them to your advantage.

I used some hessian to cover the wooden frame as their were ugly staples showing through.

I didn’t want much colour at all for this design, as I liked the simplicty of the colour scheme, so just used the new interference range to give a very slight hint of translucent colour on the Easy 3d Flex. Almost like the sun glistening on the stone.  I then drybrushed some clear gold colortrix to give a very subtle depth to the hessian frame.

I am really pleased with how she came out.  My fairy tale was pretty much all experimentation, but I love to experiment, and I love finding ways of turning mistakes around.   I hope that she truly will live happily ever after.

You can see more of my work on my facebook page or my website www.artandmurals.co.uk  

Also, don’t forget, here at Powertex we love to see your makes so please do post them on The Powertex Studio Facebook Page.

 

We would love to hear from you!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.