Frame it with Love

We have some really great challenges on the Powertex Design Team and here’s another back to basics one from me using the May Wedding Theme Project Kit.  I have to say I love the challenge of working with minimum materials and as you will find out, this one really did challenge me!
As I always do, first I unpack the kit and play around until I get a good idea of what I want my finished piece to be.  I’m clearly heavily into the beautiful bluebells at the moment, well it is spring at last in the UK and our woodlands and hedgerows are full of them.

This is the layout I came up with originally and I used every part of the kit.

As you can see from the finished piece I did make a few composition changes and as I hinted at, there was a stage when it didn’t appeal to me…read on!

I started with the back.  Using Ivory Powertex I joined the three spacers and the back of the aperture.  I also gave a nice coating of Powertex over the entire back.

I also added on the hanging pieces. Now unlike me, think about this before you add them!  There is a spacer bar that you snap off the bottom of the hanger, this means you can completely hide the hanger, which I didn’t do.  My excuse was it was the hottest May Bank Holiday for 50 years!!!
Once it was on, there was no getting it off so it is what it is!  Leave it to dry before turning your attention to the front.

I used the textured paper to form the background of my composition, I also added a very small length of leftover lace from my stash to create a bit of interest in the heart aperture and also on the top right of the frame

I coated the base generously with Powertex, then added the various embelishments a layer at a time.  Each time coating them well with Powertex.

When everything was in place I checked all over adding Powertex where I felt it needed it.

This is how it looked once I finished this stage….
After leaving the piece overnight to dry (you can speed it up using a hairdryer) I started to colour using Powertex Easy Varnish with Ultramarine and White Powercolour from the Powercolor Pigment Tray. I built up the colours using the dry brushing technique until it looked like this….
….oh boy I hated it so much I was ready to bin it!!!!
But Stop! Wait! This is Powertex you can change it completely with a bit of patience!
So after gathering my composure, drinking a nice cuppa and cooling off , I got out the Ivory Powertex and took it right back to this stage
But now I had a better plan. So this time I used just Ivory Powertex and Powercolor Ultramarine Blue.  I carefully mixed a little Powertex into about half a tsp of Ultramarine pigment adding more Powertex until I had the colour I wanted.  Starting from the bottom I painted the Powertex mixture onto the bottom third of the frame, I then added more Ivory Powertex to the blue that was on my pallette and painted the middle section, I added more to the pallette and painted the top third.
Now it looked like this and I was happy at last!
I walked away and left it to dry.  Later I added a further layer of blue pigment with Easy Coat Varnish to the bottom before adding a pop of Easy Varnish with Bronze Gold to highlight some of the top layer which added a nice bit of dimension.
Here is the finished piece
I hope you like it and if you ever get to the “I hate it” stage with your Powertex piece, you now have a bit of an idea of bringing out the otherside.
Happy ‘texing!
Fi xx

 

We would love to hear from you!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.