Hello lovely people.
I hope you enjoyed the show on Hochanda and it has got your creative juices flowing.
I was lucky enough to try out the project packs before the show and I have to say I really enjoyed doing them.
I created the hat first as my muse was screaming at me to do that one.
Sadly I did not do step by step photos as I was way too excited to crack on and play.
I had a piece of quite chunky crochet material I wanted to use and this was just the job.
I first laid out all the parts of the kit and decided how I was going to display them, before getting out the Powertex and going for it.
My muse already knew what colour theme I was going to do, so first I painted the top hat in the BLUEBERRY PIE and MOJITO LIME
Paint and Powertexed my crochet material and laid it on the hat.
I used the green and did a bit of blending with the blueberry and dry brushed with the white pigment to highlight.
I added the rice papers to the playing cards and added texture in the form of sand balls to the top part of the cards.
I took the feather and added texture to that using stone art and Powertex and used a pokey tool to make it look like a feather, dry brushed with black.
I used more of the crochet material to the bottom part of the hat and then measured and soaked some material to give it a more 3D effect to the middle part of the hat.
I used easy 3D FLEX on the tag and gave it a crackle effect using some brown bister and added the MDF numbers and painted them with easy varnish mixed with black pigment.
And my mad hatter’s hat I felt was completed.
The next kit I found more of a creative challenge and my muse was stumped on how to go about this one, I think as the rice papers are so pretty, it kind of threw me a little, as this is not more normal style!
I sat and played around with combinations for a while until I decided upon a design my muse liked but once I started, I did not stop until it was done.
Firstly I wet ripped the rice paper, by this I mean if you dunk a fine paintbrush in water and run it around the part of the rice paper/tissue paper you want to use, it comes away quite easy and looks a better finish when laid down on a structure.
I then added lace to other parts of the teapot and cups and saucers and decoratively painted the flowers and flamingo and the little mouse on the top. I added a piece of string dipped in transparent Powertex. I painted the MDF wording in the blue paint and stuck down using Powertex as my glue.
I forgot the mention I added a few lace butterflies as well.
It turned out very pretty (for me) and I loved incorporating the rice papers into my design.
I hope all the design team blogs on this theme have inspired you all.
Until my next blog …. Go be creative