Hats off to Powertex UK and the New Alice in Wonderland Inspired Kits

Powertex combined with Alice in Wonderland? Whoever would have come up with that idea?  The guys at Powertex UK that’s who.  And you’ve got to admit it, it’s a match made in heaven.

As anyone who has ever dabbled with Powertex will tell you, the possibilities for going with the imaginative flow are limitless.  Throw in a bit of the total other wordliness of Alice in Wonderland and you just know you are in for a roller coaster ride of creativity.

The kits I got to experiment with were the Top Hat Set, and the Tea Party Set.  Both available from Powertex UK.   

They are both the most fun ever, but being more of a mad hatter type of girl than a tea time kind of girl I have decided to show what I did with the top hat set in this blog:

I started off by painting the whole thing with black powertex, and allowing the pieces to dry separately.

I then carefully tore round some of the card shapes in the Alice in Wonderland Rice Paper. I used Powertex easy varnish to position the Cheshire Cat in pride of place on the hat.  And then placed the smaller ones over the card shapes.  I decided to have these sneakily poking out of the top of the hat.  I used some very scrappy thin lace that I had in my material stash to add some shabby texture to the hat.

Doing the feather was my favourite part.  I used Powertex Power Cotton covered in black powertex and gradually built up the strands of the feather shape and allowed it to dry.  I then used the new inteference powders available from Powertex UK to add a gloriously irredescent sheen to the feather.

I wanted the hat to be at a slightly jaunty angle, so when I was piecing it together with the hat band, I made sure not to be too accurate with my placement of the top part.

I used a nice quality piece of natural fabric soaked in the powertex to cover the band with, making sure to get lots of nice texture and wrinkles going, and again used the inteference powders to enhance this texture once it was dry.

I fished out an old bow tie I’d picked up from a second hand store ages ago, and also knew at once that I had to use a little tassle I’d been hanging onto waiting for just the right project.  I think it adds an air of shabby decadence.

I added a few stone art flowers, and couldn’t resist adding  an mdf cobweb as I very much doubt the Mad Hatter takes good care of his possessions.  I also got to use the wonderful new and very bright acrylics on the 10/6 price tag.

All in all I would say this has been my favourite MDF kit to date.  I just love the crazy funkiness of it, and the freedom to go fairly wild.

As Alice herself said ‘This is my dream – I’ll decide where it goes from here’ I wonder where your Wonderland adventures will take you?

We hope you are enjoying this new theme. Do share you makes with us over at the Powertex Studio as we love to see your creations.

You can see more of my Powertex creations on my facebook page and also my website www.artandmurals.co.uk 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat

by Abigail Lagden

I was so excited when I unpacked all the Alice in Wonderland goodies that I couldn’t wait to get started. The acrylics were so wonderfully bright and bold that I decided I needed to create something totally different to my usual style. So, it is the tea party set that I have chosen to share with you all this month.

 

Anyone who knows me and my work, knows I hate flat surfaces so the first thing I did was add some texture to the body of the teapot using wallpaper and painted over this with ivory Powertex. On top of this, I added a piece of the delicious floral rice paper using Easycoat Matt.

I did the same with the saucers and I also used a little bit of wallpaper on the top part of the cups.

I mixed up some Stone Art clay using ivory Powertex and Stone Art and applied this roughly onto the teacups. I used some flower stamps from my stash to make imprints into the clay.

I then used the gorgeous acrylic paints to paint splodges of colour onto the clay. I left this to dry for a short time before using a damp sponge to gently wipe the paint back off the surface of the clay.

The two saucers were painted using the acrylic paints and left to dry. Again a damp sponge was used to lift the paint off the raised pattern.

More ivory stone art clay was added to the handle, spout and outer edges of the teapot. Lots of daisies were made using stone art clay in the daisy mould and these were piled onto the teapot (leaving some space for Alice) and secured using a little Powertex underneath the flowers.

In the same way as the paints were used on the cups, I coloured the teapot and all the flowers.

The little Alice figure was also painted using the acrylic paints and powertex.

Once all of the individual pieces were complete and dry, they were all attached together using some transparent Powertex and the MDF bar included in the kit.

Et voila!!

 

The brightest most funky piece I think I have ever made – I have a feeling I may have been converted from the dark side (well… temporarily at least!)

 

I hope you will all enjoy playing with the new templates, paints and pigments as much as I have. Don’t forget to share your makes in The Powertex Studio, we absolutely love to see them.
Until next time, Abs xx
Find me on Facebook