I love visiting Powertex UK hq I always get a sneak peak on the new ideas and products coming and going. I also sometimes get a chance to give a little input too! Which I think sometimes gives our Tracey a bit of a headache! Yes, I do have a lot of ideas brimming in my head constantly.
When I saw the new Mdf owl kit I instantly had to make a sample after all we were going to the NEC and did need something to inspire everyone with! Well that was my excuse right?
But that’s the fab thing about Powertex there is no right or wrong, so you can make it as simple or a complicated as you like. And your style will always shine through when you create. I always tend to go the mixed media route with a lot of the pieces I create.
Then an extra helping of embellishments from Powertex uk and some stencilling and patterned wallpaper which is my favourite go to texture.
All coated in bronze Powertex, dried and then dry brushed with red ochre, yellow ochre and turquoise power color and varnish.
Enjoy and have fun creating your owl! Toodles Anna xXx
Sophie’s Summer Super Hero Project – Part 2
Well September is here already and Sophie’s Super Hero has been updated. I can’t believe the summer holidays went by so quickly but Sophie and I had so much fun with this.
We then started the first of the decoration or embellished layer. For this we needed purple Powertex. Sophie suggested mixing blue and red Powertex together, but it wasn’t quite dark enough so we also added a tiny bit of black.
We coated some strips of lace and a leather belt which we draped onto Teleporter’s hips (recycling is so much fun with Powertex!). We also worked some yellow Powertex for a second decorative strip of lace.
What a magical product Powertex is to bring so many people together!
As you can see from the video and photos much fun was had. We’d love to share the new techniques with you however we are going to be a tease this time and dangle the carrot. Don’t worry we will let you in on the new products and secret recipes soon we promise! Stay tuned for more snippets of inspiration!
PERFECTLY PINK POWERTEX JELLYFISH
I’m loving the POWERTEX shows on HOCHANDA today and I hope you are too! Tracey and Anna have done us proud and I am so inspired!
A day without Powertex is a day…well let’s not even go there!
So here’s another project to help you create your own Powertex art work. It’s time for a Jelly Fish!
I remember my brother being stung by one of these critters in Llandudno when we were kids and that was not fun at all!!!! This however was….
As before, I did a rough layout of where I thought I would place my embellishments and textiles.
I started with Ivory Powertex and spread this all over and in the joins between the top and bottom peices. I then spread it all over the strengthening piece.
I love the way these have been designed!
I dried it with a hairdryer (then picked up all the embellishments that were blown over the floor by the hairdryer – woops!!)
Once dry I turned it over and did the same on the front.
I then poured a tiny bit of the Red Powertex into the Ivory and mixed it up. This gave me a soft to medium pink!
TIP: less is more in colour mixing as Powertex tends to dry darker!
I spread the pink Powertex all over the front and then started to add my texture.
First I started with some of the lace and ricrac braid. Using the lace around the curved top of the jelly fish and moving down to the two outer tentacles with the ricrac braid.
Next the embellishments, circles and cogs.
Oh boy I had fun with this, it was kind of like karma thinking back to my unfortunate brother falling foul to their nasty sting!
I have to say I haven’t had so much fun in ages!!!
Once they were all in place, I used some of the Powercotton from the embellishment pack to add a bit more texture.
I then sprayed with black bister for a bit of dimension and dried with the hairdryer and left the piece to dry overnight.
NOTE: you can dry this in a drying box to speed up but it was more convenient to me to leave overnight. I also find this gives the metal embellishments chance to dry to a really hard fix.
Once dry I had lots of fun colour to bring out all that fabulous texture and detail.
The first lot of dry brushing I did was with the Powercolour burgundy pigment with Easy varnish and my 3/4″ Powerex Brush to go back over some of the areas I had covered with bister, this can be seen in the image above right.
I then moved onto blue and green, as shown on the left.
Next one of my favourite colours, Yellow Ochre – you can seen this around the tentacles in the image to the right!
As I always do, I added bits and bobs of colour in various places sometimes overlapping with what colour I had already laid down. This really creates so much interest.
Finally I used my most favourite of the gold pigments Colourtrix Bronze Gold.