Sophie’s Summer Super Hero Project – Part 2
Well September is here already and Sophie’s Super Hero has been updated. I can’t believe the summer holidays went by so quickly but Sophie and I had so much fun with this.
We then started the first of the decoration or embellished layer. For this we needed purple Powertex. Sophie suggested mixing blue and red Powertex together, but it wasn’t quite dark enough so we also added a tiny bit of black.
We coated some strips of lace and a leather belt which we draped onto Teleporter’s hips (recycling is so much fun with Powertex!). We also worked some yellow Powertex for a second decorative strip of lace.
Powertex – Nefertiti’s Collar
So today I’m going to share how I made Nefertiti’s gemstone collar. Not real gemstones of course but made with Black Powertex and 3D sand. I mixed the Powertex and Sand to a thick paste and pushed into a cabochon mould. These take a few days to dry so make them a few days before you want to make your collar.
I then worked Ivory Powertex into some woven cotton tape and wrapped this very tightly around the collar base.
Make sure you overlap the edges evenly as they will form part of the texture of the finished piece.
Tip: these collars have a habit of slipping forward so you might want to drill a hole on each end to fix a jump ring, some chain and a nice clasp to for peace of mind. I didn’t but I really wish I had as the weight pulled it forward even more.
Next I added some sand to a little Powertex to make a paste and put a small dollop onto the back of each faux gemstone and then pushed these into the now dry collar.
Don’t add too much or it oozes out but the addition of the paste really help grab the weight of the faux stones onto the near vertical collar and made it easier to work with.
Once the stones were in place, I worked some more ivory Powertex into some paper string.
I love using paper string where I want a twisted rope effect, it’s light weight and absorbs the Powertex so well.
Starting on the lower edge of each stone, I tightly wrapped the string around to give the effect of a twisted wire setting.
Cut the end of at the opposite lower edge of each wrap.
I then coiled a little of the string and pressed one end onto the collar at the our edge and threaded under and over each stone finish with another coil on the opposite side.
Next I painted a thick layer of ivory powertex over the whole piece apart from the stones.
I then sprayed the whole piece with brown bister and dried with the hairdryer, this added another layer of texture and in some places where a bister split was achieved.
One it was dry I used red ochre, ultramarine blue and dark green Powercolor pigments which I mixed with Easy Varnish and built up colour on the stones.
I was very careful to make sure the colour didn’t go onto the rope. I then mixed up Rich Gold Colortrix with more Easy Varnish and quite heavily painted the rope setting and less heavily on the remaining areas. There’s a useful Pigment Tray now that has a small quantity of pigments to help build up your pallete.